Monday, July 7, 2008

Raising Boys

This past week I found out about a tragic event that happened out east. A young man named Marc died after trying to save his father, Thom, who also died, while the family was out swimming. I will refrain from repeating any details for fear of inaccuracies, but from what I understand, Marc was a true hero, a young man who didn't just stand by and panic in the face of a crisis, but took action. If I have the facts correct, he first got his younger sister to safety and then tried very heroically to save his father. From all that I have read about Marc, it seems that he exemplified all that a young Christian man should be. If you would like to read more about him and his father, check out Regina Doman's blog or the the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate. Marc's family has had a year of crisis, so any prayer or financial assistance anyone can give would be appreciated. You can donate through Regina's blog.

So while I spent a lot of time thinking about this family this past weekend, I also realized that lately I have been bombarded with the message about raising our sons to be Godly men who will rise up to the challenges set before them. You see, my husband and I really need to think a lot about this since our oldest son has four older sisters. He spends a lot of time with girls being bossed around and picked on. We find that as he is getting older (he's almost eight now), it is becoming ever more important for him to spend time with other people of the male gender - whether it be his father, his grandfathers or his friends. We realize how important it will be for him in the future to get out now from under his mother's apron strings.

I love to think about my sons entering into many challenges that are being lost on a lot of boys today. Things like hunting and fishing and trying to survive out in the wilderness. Combine that with a firm foundation in their faith and a love for God and you have the makings of boys that will turn into confident men, ready to fight to defend their faith and family. I truly believe that our children will be faced with challenges that we never dreamed of. It is so important now to raise up our boys to be God-fearing, strong, confident young men. Young men who wouldn't think twice about risking their lives for their fellow man.

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for mentioning Marc! By his actions he truly lived what we as men ought to strive for. The true ideal of Chivalry and Knighthood. He saved his sister, and that wasn't enough...he went back for his father...

    ReplyDelete