Thursday, October 7, 2010

What I Love About Homeschooling

After homeschooling for the past 13 years, it never ceases to amaze me that I can still love it! Yes, sure there are days where I get supremely frustrated and wonder why on earth God ever called ME to this lifestyle. But then I see moments like the following and it renews my commitment all over again.

Lately there has been a lot of yarn flying in this house...knitting and crotchet needles have been making appearances again as the older two girls get back into the swing of one of their cold weather past times. What caught my attention this time was when Ms 7 yo joined in the fun. Seeing her sisters working towards a goal, she wanted to join them. Here is what she came up with:
I think they are little yarn dolls. Of course, the pointy toothpicks aren't the best, but I love her ingenuity. She sat on the couch next to her sisters, yarn flying as she wound it around the toothpicks to make her little yarn people. We had to convince her to stop when we started running our of toothpicks :)

A few days later we were driving around when one of the little kids noticed the swirling corn husks in a field we were passing. It looked like a small tornado which prompted the kids to ask some questions. Well, before I knew it, Ms 14 yo was teaching an impromptu lesson on tornadoes and hurricanes that lasted all the way to our destination. She was drawing pictures and asking questions and the other kids were responding and remembering! It was all very informative and quite entertaining.

And that is why I love homeschooling...because we can spend time together and learn from each other at any hour of the day...because the children are learning from people who love them more than anyone else in the world...because we seize these moments when they happen and grow in love and respect for the other members of our family, our nearest neighbors.

I thank God when He sends these little moments into our day to remind me that this truly is the best path for our family.