Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie, Market, Camp out and Seminary

We had quite a busy weekend this past weekend. We started it Friday night with a viewing of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. Well, I will admit that I wasn't feeling well on Friday, so that might have tainted my opinion of this movie. Overall I would say that it was quite goofy. I did laugh a number of times, but it still was quite goofy. I was told that I need to watch it again when I am feeling better. We'll see. For those of you who have seen this old "classic".....Sink Me!

We then moved into Saturday and a very slow Farmer's Market. The weather was on the cooler side (finally) so my hubby did great with his Mystic Monk coffee sales. Soap wasn't too bad, but unfortunately the kids had a slow day (which really is too bad since they are now in the black and get to keep all their profits :)

Saturday afternoon/evening brought one of my favorite events of the year...the annual Blue Knights' camp out. We've hosted this event in our yard for the past couple of years and it is always great to watch the dad's and their sons get together and put up their tents, play a ball game or two and then separate into two groups...the dads who cook dinner and sit around the campfire and shoot the breeze and the boys who run around in the dark chasing each other and yelling.

This year the mosquitoes were so bad that even with bug spray, Mr 5 yo had 30 bites just on his neck and face! I heard that the campfire rosary was interesting...dads swatting at the bugs through the whole things while the boys marched and danced around to keep the bugs from landing. I think they voted on cold-weather camping next year!

Sunday brought us to a wonderful event - the going away get-together for the son of one of our friends. He will be leaving this week to begin Seminary in Minnesota. He has wanted to become a priest since he was young so it is such a joy to be sending him off to begin his adventure into the priesthood.

Even though he knew for a long time that he wanted to become a priest, this past year saw him in a battle over his decision. It was hard to watch him struggle with this decision, but God is good and once he got through it and felt certain that his vocation is to the priesthood, you could see his whole countenance change. It was like seeing a huge weight get lifted off his back. I'm sure this isn't the last of his struggles, so if you could add him (his name is David) to your list of people to pray for, that would be wonderful.

Hope your weekend was a good one. It looks like the weather here is going to be beautiful this week (I know...so why am I sitting here typing on the computer????)

1 comment:

  1. I laughed when I got to the end of your post and read, "The weather is beautiful so why am I sitting on the computer?"

    Um...me, too!

    It's good to connect with other moms, though. Thank you for your nice comment yesterday...and have a blessed school year! :)

    ReplyDelete