Monday, January 17, 2011

Bittersweet Dancing

This past weekend we had our annual Father/Daughter Ball.  It is always such a joy to see how excited the girls get about dressing up and doing their hair and nails.  They really get into the fanciness of it and each one is cuter than the next.

This year, however, was bittersweet.  We had a great time, as usual, however we were missing one of our own.  Ms 18 yo had a conflict with an event at school and had to make a decision about which one to attend.  While both my husband and I feel she made the right choice by choosing her school event over the dance, it was still a bittersweet moment when I took the picture of my husband and his girls and she was not in it.  

I felt it again when her group of friends lined up to take a picture and the group was down two girls this year.  My how time flies.  It was only one short year ago when that lively group of senior girls took over the photo area and kept me laughing with their antics.  What a difference a year makes!  


I know that as we encounter these situations more often, and as we have more children who grow up and start to leave the nest it will get easier.  For the time being, however, it always makes me feel a bit sad when I realize that my children are all growing up.  I am thrilled that they are all growing into such fine, young adults, but it still doesn't make it any less difficult. 


On the bright side, I figure that by the time Ms 7 yo and Mr 5 yo are at this stage, we'll hold the door open for them, wish them luck on their journeys and collapse on the couch :)