Friday, February 24, 2012

7 Quick Takes February 24, 2012


--- 1 ---

I mentioned last week that I was going on a silent retreat with two of my daughters.  Well, we went and it was worth it!  Boy do I look forward to these retreats every year.  I was a bit more distracted than usual this time because I have this incredibly annoying cough that I was trying to stifle the whole time.  Do you know how hard it is to NOT cough?  Very distracting.  On top of that, I sprained my ankle about an hour before the retreat started, so I had that pain to deal with, too.  It is also somewhat distracting to have my daughters there because since I am their mother, try as I might, it is hard not to think about them and how it is going for them.  Despite the distractions, it is always incredible to communicate so intimately with God.  If you've never done an Ignatian retreat, I'd highly recommend it!
 
--- 2 ---

It was really nice to do this retreat right before Lent, too.  Not only was I thinking of resolutions for the coming year, I was trying to discern my Lent.  It was a nice, peaceful environment in which to do it, and for that I am grateful.

--- 3 ---


Well it's a few days into Lent and so far there hasn't been too much rebellion over all of the food items we've given up.  Except, of course, from Mr 6 yo.  I haven't imposed too much on him, but I refuse to make two different dinners, so he's had to make a few compromises. I'm grateful to be able to use Lent for the excuse to eat better and change so many things.  It works to keep me in line and it makes me not give in to some of the groans.


--- 4 ---

Snack time in our house usually means grabbing something pre-made, quick and only mildly good for you; like a granola bar or a bagel or something.  Well today's healthy snack was a hit.  The kids even scored points for presentation. 


Now all I have to do is not use up 2/3 of a jar of peanut butter for one snack.  That good stuff is a bit pricey.  It is very frustrating that it costs more to eat healthy than unhealthy!

 --- 5 ---
 
During Lent I am going to be posting a few ongoing items.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays I am going to be posting the various Stations of the Cross with pictures from our past performances and text by St. Josemaria Escriva.  I hope you'll join me in praying the stations.  On each Monday of Lent I will be discussing a different chapter of my book "A Plan for Joy in the Home".  I'm not sure exactly what format it will be taking yet, so stop by this coming Monday to find out :)


--- 6 ---

Earlier this week Mr 6 yo and I were doing a reading lesson and I pointed to the word on the page that he needed to read:  is.  "Oh this is a funny word," I said to him.  He looked at the word to read and replied, "clown?"  He never ceases to keep us laughing!

--- 7 ---

We're steaming right along with our production of "The Seven Last Words of Christ".  As with anything of this magnitude, there are issues and problems and annoyances and stresses and...so any prayers you would be able to say for all of those working so hard to get this produced and sound so beautiful, as well as sell-out three shows, would be greatly appreciated. 



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. I just can't imagine my daughters being silent for a whole day! I can totally sympathize, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything but them. Prayers for your production. :)

    ReplyDelete