Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The First Three Days

Well we're three days into our new school year and so far I am pleased with how things have been working out.  Our schedule seems to be working well.  Being the first week the kids are finishing each subject early but I keep telling them it probably won't be that way for long once they start getting into the meat of each subject.

We're making a concerted effort to make it to daily Mass...every day.  We have two options close to home, one at 8:15 and one at 8:30, so we're doing three days at the 8:30 and two at the 8:15.  It always amazes me how much difference going that 15 minutes later can make!

Not long ago we all got to talking about the Pledge of Allegiance.  Ms 13 yo suggested that we add that into our morning routine, too.  Now, upon arriving home from Mass, we gather around a small flag, say the Pledge and then add in a Memorare for a successful school day.

I've also decided on a personal level that I am only going to worry about one school day at a time.  During the rosary I would typically pray for our school year, but really, if tomorrow is a bomb, I know I'm not worried about what comes after it.  I therefore have decided just to pray that the next day is a good school day.

The only other thing we've changed this year, and I am sure that it won't last very long, is that some of the younger kids go out and stand at the end of the driveway and I bring the van around (we have a nice length driveway for this) and pick them up on our way out in the morning.  If I remember, I pull up to the front door (because we park our cars around the back of the house) and drop them off and they wait for us to open the door to come in to school.  I'm sure that once the weather turns inclement they will readily give up this fun time!

I hope your school year is off to a good start.  Remember, take one day at a time and be thankful for the day that has been given to you.  I know this is hard if it has been a bad or chaotic day, but still we should give thanks to God for all He gives us because He knows what is best for us (trust me, this is a reminder for me if for no one else!).

God Bless!