Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Cleaning and Pre-Menopause

O Spring cleaning, thou doth callest me.  I have made my list of things I want to clean.  I have pictured it in my mind, but alas, it has yet to get started.  I'm pretty sure that the best time for me to start any kind of project is first thing in the morning.  If I leave it till later in the day, too many things come by and snatch my mind, and even my body in some cases, from ever getting started.

I've been getting very frustrated with myself lately because I can't seem to get started on anything.  By afternoon I'm usually toast; not physically, but mentally.  By afternoon my brain can't seem to focus on any one thing and I can't seem to think clearly most days.  Very frustrating to say the least.

Algebra...don't ask me in the afternoon

Paper revisions...don't ask me in the afternoon
Phone calls...can't seem to make them in the afternoon
Coffee...oh sure, I'd love a cup. That I can manage :)

Like I said, I've been thinking it is some kind of sloth or laziness problem on my part (and to some extent it probably is)...until this morning when I read a facebook post from my gynecologist that, are you ready for this:


Some changes that might start in the years around menopause include:
• Irregular periods.
• Hot flashes.
• Trouble sleeping.
• Vaginal and urinary problems.
• Mood changes.
• Changing feelings about sex.
• Osteoporosis
• Other changes. You might become forgetful or have trouble focusing. Your waist could become larger. You could lose muscle and gain fat. Your joints and muscles also could feel stiff and achy.


Do you see that?  Right there buried amongst other issues that I may or may not be having, is the one I struggle with every day, "You might become forgetful or have trouble focusing".  Finally I can come to terms with this.  Some days I may have control over it because of laziness or slothfulness, but other days it happens because I am aging and my hormones are crazy and, well, that's just the way it is.

I'm not sure what this means for my Spring cleaning.  Maybe the week after Easter when we're off school and I can start the jobs first thing in the morning there might be some hope.  In the meantime, I will continue to come to terms with my aging body and rejoice when my head is clear and my mind is focused.  God is good!  Even when He created this thing called menopause :)

God Bless!