Friday, April 3, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol 18

Welcome to 7 Quick Takes Friday courtesy of Conversion Diary!

1.

For those of you in the grand ole state of Illinois, I just got word that there is a good Catholic young man who is running for Governor. His name is Adam Andrzejewski and, while I don't know him personally, I do know the priest who is recommending him and I don't believe that he would intentionally recommend someone who was not good. Check out his website and follow along with his campaign. I also heard that he would love to come and talk to groups of concerned citizens, so if you are interested in that, give him a call.

2.

I was inundated with quotes this week, a lot of which were really good! I thought I would share some of them with you. Here is the first:

"Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it." - John Paul II

3.

Here's a good one from Abraham Lincoln that a friend sent my way.

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country; corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in High Places will follow, and the Money Power of the Country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the People, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war"

4.

Our second "Seven Last Words of Christ" performance is tomorrow. Please say a prayer for us that all goes well. We've gotten rave reviews from the first one, so the prayers definitely work! Here is a quote from Fulton Sheen about Calvary, the Mass and the Seven Last Words..

But how is Calvary made visible? Where shall we find Calvary perpetuated?

We shall find Calvary renewed, reenacted, represented... in the Mass.

Calvary is one with the Mass, and the Mass is one with Calvary, for in both

there is the same Priest and Victim. The Seven Last Words are like the

seven parts of the Mass. And just as there are seven notes in music

admitting an infinite variety of harmonies and combinations, so too on the

cross there are seven divine notes, which the dying Christ rang down the

centuries, all of which combine to form the beautiful harmony of the

world's redemption.


5.

Here's an update on the ND controversy, taken from Sheila's blog:

Notre Dame Right to Life, Notre Dame College Republicans, and nine other student organizations have created Notre Dame Response, a student coalition that opposes the university’s decision to award President Barack Obama an honorary degree in May. “In defense of the unborn, we wish to express our deepest opposition to Reverend John I. Jenkins, CSC’s invitation of President Barack Obama to be the University of Notre Dame’s principal commencement speaker and the recipient of an honorary degree,” the coalition said in a statement. “Our objection is not a matter of political partisanship, but of President Obama’s hostility to the Catholic Church’s teachings on the sanctity of human life at its earliest stages. His recent dedication of federal funds to overseas abortions and to embryonic stem cell research will directly result in the deaths of thousands of innocent human beings. We cannot sit by idly while the University honors someone who believes that an entire class of human beings is undeserving of the most basic of all legal rights, the right to live.”

I read hear that people don't understand why Catholics are protesting this. Chances are the Catholics protesting this are not the same Catholics that voted for Obama.

6.

Here's another good one from John Paul II:

We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has ever experienced. I do not think the wide circle of the American Society or the wide circle of the Christian Community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the antichurch, between the Gospel and the antigospel, between Christ and the antichrist. This confrontation lies within the plans of Divine Providence. It is, therefore, in God's Plan, and it is a trial which the church must take up, and face courageously.” (Pope John Paul II during a visit to the United States in 1979.)

7.

As we approach Holy Week, I'll end with this (thanks Do for all of this GOOD stuff!):

Poem to Christ Crucified

by Caryll Houselander

There He hangs—pale figure

pinned against the wood.

God grant that I could love Him

as I really know I should.

I draw a little closer

to share that Love divine

and almost hear Him whisper

“Ah foolish child of Mine!

“If I should now embrace you,

My hands would stain you red.

And if I leaned to whisper

the Thorns would pierce your head.


And then I knew in silence

that love demands a price

‘Twas then I learned that suffering

is but the Kiss of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely poem...I first heard of her forn Rosalyn Moss at a Women of Grace Conference...very deep.
    Prayers for your production...I'm sure the Lord will bless you all.
    Have a Blessed Holy Week!
    Pax Christi, E

    ReplyDelete