Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Brighter Perspective

Casement windows have been the bane of my existence for most of my adult life.  I know, it seems trivial given all of the things that could qualify for that status, but they are just one of those little annoying things that seem to follow me around into every house we live in.

We've lived in a five houses over our 25 years of marriage and all but one of them have had casement windows.  The other four have been a pain in my side.  If you have them, you know what I mean:  handles that fall apart and/or break off, windows that don't open all the way anymore, windows that won't close anymore from the inside (they require a special trip outside to give them a good shove - usually when it is pouring rain), screens that blow out with a good wind, screens that are bent and won't sit in the frame properly.  Oh, and have you ever had blinds or a shade on casement windows and wanted to close them a bit while the window is open?  Tough luck.

If you are lucky enough to have up and down windows (more commonly referred to as double hung windows), then you can count yourselves as blessed.

I have decided that Heaven will be full of up and down windows.

Anyhow, my fate having been sealed, I have tried to make the best of it.  One thing my mom has been telling me for years is that, in the winter, I should take all the screens out thus allowing more light to come into those dreary winter-lit rooms.  

Not one to shun motherly advice, I have finally taken her up on it and started in two of our rooms.  The first window I did was the one over the kitchen sink.  I was so impressed with how nice it looked and how much brighter the area was that I finally had time to do it in our bedroom.  



Our room is north facing so there isn't much light to begin with.  Take away those lovely screens and it immediately brightened the place up.


I am so happy with the results that my goal is to do that in all the rooms before Spring is upon us next year!  I'll let you know if I succeed.

God Bless!