Sunday, March 22, 2015

Going to the Movies on a Sunny Afternoon

A lot of the blogs that I've followed for the past many years seem to be falling into the same routine as I have been; namely - not posting but once a week if we're lucky.  I pondered that for awhile and I realized that I had started following these blogs back when all of us had younger children.  Back when packing everyone up to go out was a monumental event so we just stayed home and had a wee bit more time to do homey things...like blog all the time.  Now that the kids are older and far more mobile, it seems as if we aren't ever home anymore. I check my blog feed and I see the same post headlines that were there the last time I checked...two or three days ago.  At least I'm not the only one. 

So what has kept me busy this past week?  Well, one of my children had her Spring break last week (it really is difficult when everyone is on a different schedule!) and she talked me into going to the movies with her to see "Cinderella".  I went grudgingly for a few reasons:  1.  My back had gone out that morning and I was a tad uncomfortable at the time (although not as uncomfortable as I would be after sitting in the theater for 2 hours!) and 2.  See above.  I really didn't want to leave the house again.

Alas, as mothers, we must die to ourselves and go to the movies with our daughters on occasion (cue the mournful violin music) .  I'm glad I did.  It was a very enjoyable movie.  I cried multiple times.  Since then all of my daughters have seen it and not one of them cried.  Not once.  Really?  Cold-hearted they are.  My eldest said that crying at movies must be something you acquire when you become a mother.  I think she's right.

You've already read a ton of articles, opinions and reviews on this movie so I'll just chime in and say that yes, you should go see it because it really was as Christian as everyone said it was, the cinematography was beautiful, the acting was great and the storyline was wonderful.

When we were watching the movie, there was one line that just jumped out at me.  It is when the fairy godmother says "The greatest risk we will take is to let others see us as we really are".  I don't know why, but it stuck with me.  Even more so than the "have courage and be kind" line (which is a good one, too).  I think that between the two lines, you have a pretty good guideline about how to live your life.  You should be kind to others, have courage in all things, and be yourself, even if it means taking that risk with someone.  I just really appreciate when the person I am getting to know is being who they really are and not acting as someone they aren't.  I want to get to know the real person, not just the facade they put on because they think they should be acting a certain way.  We've always tried to be that to others, too.  Yes, we're crazy and loud and kind of goofy at times.  What you see is what you get.  It hasn't scared too many people away, yet (I don't think!).

I'm so glad the prince still wanted to marry Cinderella even though she wasn't what she had seemed to be at the ball.  It really was a beautiful moment.  I'm pretty sure I cried. 

Go see "Cinderella" with your daughter, you'll be glad you did.

God Bless!