Friday, June 20, 2008

A Few More Thoughts

Just some end of the week ramblings. I found it interesting that this morning we got an email advertising an old book that is back in print called "The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States". The advertisement says that it is a book that the ACLU hates because it makes a very lengthy case for the fact that America was founded on Christian principles. In the same email there were advertisements for Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary, The Blue Back Speller and The New England Primer; all books used by our Founding Fathers. I found this a very timely email because of all of the reading I have been doing about having immersing ourselves in the classics. I love it when things like this happens. I tend to look upon it as a smile from God that I am going in a direction that He wants me to go. Now if I can just get the money to buy all of these great books.....

Also, a few weeks ago the kids and I sat down to discuss summertime. Last summer I had the intention of trying to carry on with just a tiny bit of school to keep us in the swing of things. I think I made it about 2 weeks before we all fizzled out and got carried away with other stuff. When we had our meeting we agreed that we would try to do some writing and maybe a fun unit study. Well, since then the writing hasn't gone very far but we did start our reading on the history of alcohol. I have also been reading aloud parts of "A Thomas Jefferson Education" to them so that they might also be inspired to try studying something on their own. While the next two weeks happen to be filled with various camps, I am hoping that in July we can each find a new topic to immerse ourselves in so that my family can begin to quit depending on videos and internet usage to keep them "entertained". I am beginning to think that changing our thinking about how we deserve to have entertainment every day is going to be like kicking a drug habit. May we have the grace to persevere!

God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. I found A Thomas Jefferson Education very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog while looking at TJEd links. We've got a great group of families up here in Alaska using TJEd. We've been having book discussion groups for youth and their families. It's been very inspiring. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete