Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hot Dog Casserole

Here is a recipe that makes good use of hot dogs. Most of the time the kids just pick out the hot dogs and eat them, but my husband and I like it. We went through an interesting period where I would have this dish on the schedule for dinner and the electricity would go out just before I would make it. This happened about three times in a row. Now when I make it, I hold my breath. This recipe feeds our family of nine with nothing left over. I have found it works best to cook the rice first and then mix it in with the other ingredients.

God Bless!

P.S. Happy first day of summer!

HOT DOG CASSEROLE

1 tbls vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 medium green pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
10 beef hot dogs cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 1/2 Cups instant rice - cooked following package directions
1/2 c vegetable broth
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oil in pan over medium high heat until hot. Add onion, pepper and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, hot dogs, cooked rice, broth, ketchup, sugar, molasses and mustard to vegetables; stir to combine. Pour into prepared dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.