Friday, January 16, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday - Vol 7

Here's another 7 Quick Takes Friday. Check out Conversion Diary for more fun!

1.

We've been working with our new split schedule (Mon/Thurs and Tues/Wed) for two weeks now and I have to say that it is not that bad. The little bit of change it gives us is nice, but it is still hard to remember what schedule we're supposed to be following. The only thing I miss is the 1/2 hour I would spend every day with each child going over things. The plus is that we are able to spend more time all together and cover more subjects. While I liked the individual time, that 2 1/2 hours every day was very hard to keep up with.

2.


I found a new Bible verse that I think I will make my own. I was reading my meditation from, you guessed it, "In Conversation With God" and the topic was how we can not let problems take away our joy. The author says, "A cheerful countenance attracts men to God, showing them what the presence of God produces within the soul. This is why the Holy Spirit gives us the advice, 'Do not be downcast or look troubled, for the joy of the Lord is your strength' (Neh 8:10)" What a good verse to carry around in your head when you come in contact with all of the struggles in the world today.

3.


It always amazes me how messy two little children can make a house when no one is paying attention. We've had a relatively uninterrupted week of school and boy did it show in my house. I guess it's a good thing, though: we were all so busy and intent on learning that no one cared how many things they had to step over just to navigate around the house. For those of you who enjoy seeing my house messy, you missed your chance (we cleaned it up last night!).

4.


My husband and I were out driving around the other day while it was snowing profusely and we got to talking about how we get so caught up in getting angry at the weather - how it makes it hard for us to get to where we need to go - that we don't stop and appreciate the beauty that it brings. It was nice to spend some time that day enjoying the snow covered landscapes instead of being worried or upset about how rotten it was to drive in it.

5.


A while back we went to our first Latin Mass and I have to say that I wasn't hooked and really have no desire to go back. Well, it seems that I might be wrong about not going back because lately, everywhere I turn, I'm either reading about how beautiful the Latin Mass is or running into people who keep encouraging me to try again. It seems that what we went to was the Low Mass and what we really need to experience is the High Mass. I can't believe how many times God has been hitting me over the head with this one in the last month. We'll see what happens.


6.


I haven't had a recipe up in awhile so since I've been reading about the wonderful benefits of fresh garlic, I thought I'd share this great garlic butter recipe with you. You can put it on pieces of bread and stick them in the oven for a few minutes, or slather it all over a loaf of bread, wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Either way, this stuff is great!

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbl minced fresh parsley
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp garlic salt

In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add the Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, oregano and garlic salt; mix well.

Enjoy!

7.


Some times you come across a prayer that just says it all so I thought I would share it with you. I have no idea where I first found it or who wrote it.

Lord Jesus, I believe you became man, suffered, died on the cross for my sins and arose from the dead. Jesus I come before you now, just as I am. I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In Your name, I forgive all others for what they have done against me. I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I surrender my life to you. I invite you to be my personal Lord and Savior. Heal me, change me, make me into the kind of person you want me to be. Strengthen me in mind, body, soul and spirit.

Come Lord Jesus, cover me with your precious blood and fill me with your Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit, come and grant me your grace, the power of your love and your spiritual gifts. Help me to share your love with my family, my friends, those I work with and all those I meet. I love You, Jesus. I praise You, Jesus. I thank You, Jesus. I shall follow You every day of my life. Amen.

God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. I just went to my first Latin mass, too, and I wrote about it here: http://cheekypinkgirl.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-went-to-my-first-latin-mass.html

    I, too, found it wasn't all that everyone said it would be, and I DID go to a high mass. In fact, I got some flack for what I wrote and I am now feeling very shut-out by the Traditionalists because I didn't come back glowing and raving.

    I think it's an acquired taste that develops over a long period of time. And for me, where I am right now (but maybe not later), it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great prayer to sum it all up. I've tried that garlic butter recipe before - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were great to read -- thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete