Monday, May 13, 2013

A Grand Day for A Mother or My Life as a Reality TV Show

A happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  I hope that you each had a very blessed day. I am, however, still searching for the answer to the question:  Why is the weather never nice on Mother's Day?  It was sunny here, I'll give you that much, but the wind and temperature made it rather uncomfortable to be outside.  Oh well, we all look forward to Father's Day when the weather around here is usually wonderful!

We went to Mass yesterday and our little Communicant got to dress in all his finery again for two reasons: 
 
1.  The priest asked him to - in order to help with the May crowning, of course




2.  Because last Sunday I forgot to get a nice picture of him by the altar for our mantle, where we have first Communion pictures of all of the other kids.  Yeah, bad mom.  No one will ever know that this picture was taken the following week.  Unless that big statue of Mary with the crown of flowers on her head gives it away.

After Mass we came home and chilled out (not really, but it sounds more Mother's Day like, doesn't it?) and then went to dinner by my mom's house.  On the way over there we realized that we would be in a house with TV reception at the same time that the season finale of "Once Upon A Time" was going to be on.  Major Score!  

While we were waiting to watch OUAT, we realized that "Duck Dynasty" was on...all 47 hours of it, it seems.  Having never seen it but having heard a lot of people talking about it, we decided to give it a try.

So, really??  People watch this?  To its credit, my dh said that the second hour was much more entertaining than the first episode we watched together.  I have to admit that Si was the highlight of the show.  

This got me to thinking that we could make a pretty good reality TV show.  Have you ever done that?  Think about your life as it is happening as a reality TV show?  On the way home I was mentioning this to the family.  They weren't exactly going for it.  I mean really, we have a philosophizing 12 year old and an 8 year old who comes out with some pretty amazing statements.  And who doesn't want to watch four teenage and older girls bickering?  The topper would be watching me strategize every week about how to get the lowest gas prices.  I mean, really, who couldn't relate to that.

After awhile of fantasizing about it, eldest daughter pointed out that we would probably get a lot of hate mail.  I guess you're right.  I suppose a pro-life, Catholic homeschooling family just isn't what main-stream America wants to watch every week. I think we need something more unique than that :)

God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I really like Duck Dynasty! They are a very good representation of a red neck southern country family. They are hilarious and just honest about who they are. I love their guns, I love their loving family jabber and teasing, and I love that they pray at the end of each episode. In fact, the network tried to get them to take the prayer out due to complaints, and they said "no prayer, no show". Give them another chance! And yes - Uncle Si is HILARIOUS. Everyone needs a crazy uncle. I also like Jase though - he cracks me up too.

    Happy Belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, I did hear that about the show and I think that it is awesome that they stood up to A&E. I agree, I liked how they all gathered together at the end to pray and eat. I think by the second hour they were all getting into it, we had just been distracted by OUAT so we didn't have that opportunity :)

      Delete
  2. I am so out of the loop with no cable and I barely watch TV but you gave me such a good laugh. Yes...I would watch you : )

    We had a nice quiet day yesterday despite all the wind. I am glad yours was relaxing too.

    ReplyDelete