Thursday, February 12, 2015

Death and Taxes...

...as you know, are the only two certainties in this world.  We dealt with the tax part yesterday.  I am happy to report that it wasn't too bad.  We've been using the same accountant for the past 8 years or so and even though our taxes are far less complicated than they used to be, we still enjoy meeting with her every year to discuss life and, of course, taxes.  She even helped me by telling me how to fix all of the problems I had with the three oldest girls' taxes.  Yay!!

Afterwards, as is our usual custom, my husband and I went out to grab a bite to eat.  We went for the first time to Chipotle.  While I thoroughly enjoyed my burrito in a bowl, my mouth is very wimpy and so my eyes were watering by the time I was done.  I think it might be worth the pain, however.

After that, we took a much needed trip to our local mattress store.  We've been trying to save up for a new mattress for the past year.  We finally have enough (that tax return helping to throw us over the top).  My poor husband has been sleeping in the Marianas Trench for the past year.  I keep thinking he can't sink any lower and yet he does.  We agreed on a mattress (he likes firm, my hips need soft) and we're on our way to him sleeping in a much more elevated position.

Anyhow, the real reason why I started writing this post about taxes was to encourage you to do one VERY important thing with your tax return (assuming you are getting one).  Every year we set aside the amount we need for each of us to go on our yearly retreat.  We are fortunate to attend a Miles Christi silent retreat.  If you live near one, we strongly recommend attending one.  If you don't, search the area for another good retreat for you and your spouse to attend sometime this year.  When your tax return gets deposited, set the necessary money aside and DON'T TOUCH IT!  No emergency or anything.  God will honor your desire to go on retreat and make it all work out, don't worry.  By doing this, you will be using your money for a great cause.  I can't recommend a yearly retreat enough.  Life is hard.  You deserve the spiritual benefits that a good retreat brings, so set your money aside now and reap the benefits later this year!

God Bless!