Friday, February 8, 2008

Homeschooling, anyone?

Since it is my sixth day of blogging, I thought it was about time that I at least mentioned something about homeschooling! Really, though, a lot of what I have been writing about is directly related to how joyfully your homeschooling day runs. I don't know about you, but I have discovered that whenever something is not going well, whatever it may be, it somehow always comes back to me. I gave up trying to pin the blame on my curriculum, my schedule, my children, my husband. No matter how hard I try, 99% of the time I can find the problem somewhere within myself. For that reason, I try really hard to keep up some semblence of a prayer life, get to mass as often as is possible (more about that some other time!), go on RETREAT when I can, read A LOT of books and tweak my schedule and ways that I do things so that I can at least quickly pinpoint which flaw it is that I can blame and work on that one right away. I don't care how you homeschool; whether it is with Seton, or doing unit studies, or unschooling, if you, the teacher, don't have a solid foundation to come back to, you probably won't be able to say come June, "That was a really good year!"


Over my homeschooling career there were two very distinct times when I knew it was time to make major changes in order to save myself and my family. The first time the beacon that lit my world came in the form of learning how to schedule my day. The second time was when I took the dive into unit studies. I could spend hours (and I have!) talking about each of these subjects. Like I said before, I hope to put together an e-book about why I think unit studies are a great way to go and how to break free of clinging to workbooks and make the jump. Please keep this edeavor in your prayers as I try to figure out when I have time to do it!


As an end note, a friend brought up something the Pope said in regard to Lent that I thought was worth passing on. The Pope said that we should try fasting from words and images and bring silence into a more important place in our lives. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Of course, that would mean that I probably shouldn't be "talking" so much here! HMMMMMM....

God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. hi Laura
    come check out my blog
    some time!!



    Love,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! Since I am so computer challendged, this is my third attempt to leave a comment. I love your blog! God bless you! You say things that I think so many of us have on our hearts. I was just going to call you to find out about the Ignatian Retreat! I remember talking to you right after you went on one last year. Now, I'm sad to say that I can't make the one in March. I did pull a book off my shelf called "A Personal Ignatian Retreat A Closer Walk with Christ" by Fr. Raymond Thomas Gawronski. He spoke at the Milwaukee homeschool conference. Anyway, I'm going to try to go through this book during Lent. God bless you! I hope this comment takes. Your friend, Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to learn more about scheduling our days, Laura. I know you have classes in the past....but I just couldn't fit it into my schedule! There seems to be so many unplanned things that come up. Am I the only one this happens to? God bless you, Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Laura I really like the length of your entries. Very readble for busy homeschooling moms! God bless, Dolores

    ReplyDelete