Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Being Overjoyed in our Affliction

As I mentioned last week, we are in the midst of a severe bout of cabin fever. The other morning, however, I came upon a quote from Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:24-27 that I would like to share with you to help put some perspective on what a bad time really is.

"Five times have I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I have been shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brethren; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure."

Now, we have had some bad days lately, and by the end of them I might feel as if I had been beaten with a rod, however I am very grateful that I have never come close to anything that Paul had to suffer. He then says, "I am filled with comfort. With all our affliction, I am overjoyed." Well, I guess that is something that we should all strive for, being overjoyed in our affliction.

To round out this thought, I will close with a quote from Blessed Escriva from my "In Conversation with God" book. "This is how we must travel along the way of self-giving: the Cross on our shoulders, a smile on our lips and light in our hearts." Another good one for the kitchen wall!

God Bless!

1 comment: