Friday, May 22, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Vol 24


1.

Here we are again. I think I finally figured out how to copy and paste the above image so that it links right back to Conversion Diary. Unfortunately I can't test it until it is "live" so if it doesn't work, I apologize and I'll try to figure it out for next week. It looks so much more official this way, doesn't it???

2.

Here's another Emily update. It seems as if all of the prayers are keeping her going and keeping her off of a feeding tube. I thought I'd share another excerpt with you from her Mom's email.

Well only 8 treatments left. Boy, do those words sound good. Emily's spirits were lifted yesterday after her visit with the radiation doctor. She checked on Emily's progress and told us she could no longer see any cancer (yay!!!) We still have to complete the remaining 8 treatments. Then we will see all the doctors every week for about 8-10 weeks. During the next 2 years they will be watching her for long term side effects: throat narrowing, jaw bones dying, teeth falling out, salivary glands not working. These are all possibilities but so far they think she looks remarkable. Despite the incredible pain she is enduring, she looks really good. I know I have all of you to thank for this. Your prayers are keeping her in great shape.

Emily is eating only noodles, eggs, oatmeal and bread currently. She can only drink water. Everything else burns too much. Her jaws are swollen and it hurts to chew. During lunch she cried thru her meal which she usually does. She apologized for taking so long to eat. I replied "no problem, I don't have any screaming children calling my name, I'm good." Then she said something that really struck me. She said "after this is over I will never take eating or tasting my food for granted." Wow! Then it occured to me that we should all stop at dinner and thank God for allowing us to eat whatever we want and to be able to taste the good food we are eating. We take so much of our graces for granted and constantly complain about what we perceive is our crosses. I felt like this was such a huge cross Jesus gave me. Then I see how much this is changing me by the day and realized it really is a grace to have suffering in our lives. It causes us to reflect on the everyday graces we overlook.

3.

The novena to the Holy Spirit begins today. Check out EWTN for the prayers for each of the next nine days. Spread the word! I think the world could use an outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

4.

I've mentioned before that I'm a little slow in grasping things sometimes. Case in point: In our effort to eat less processed and more healthy foods yet still have a treat now and then, I decided to google frozen fruit bar recipes. (No I couldn't figure this out for myself!) How simple and how good! Take any fresh summer fruit, throw it in a blender or food processor, add a bit of lemon juice, stick it in a cup and freeze it. We tried pineapple-banana-coconut and strawberry-banana. A nice cool treat for a nice warm day!

5.

Here in good ole Illinois we've been hearing radio commercials about how the police will be looking into your vehicles to make sure that you are wearing your seat belts. I think the slogan at the end of the ad goes something like "You're in our sight, even at night" or something like that. DH just called to tell me that he went through three different towns and there were policemen standing at various intersections looking into car windows as they stopped at the light/stop sign. Think they're just looking for seat belt violators????

6.

Miles Christi is still has openings for men to attend their Silent Retreat next weekend, May 29th thru 31st, in Libertyville, IL. If you've been thinking about it, consider this a call to sign up. Go here for more info.

7.

Have a blessed, safe, sunny and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend! The temperatures look good around here, but each day there is a slight chance of rain. We'll see if we get by without it!