Monday, June 8, 2009

Trusting God

I've had a few interesting experiences this past week that have made me really think about trusting God. Last week on day 3 of our week-long marathon of activities, for a variety of reasons, we were running VERY late for Mass. We got in the car at 8:15 for our 25 minute drive to make it to 8:30 Mass. Do the math and you will realize that it just wasn't adding up. I decided that speeding wouldn't even get me there on time, so I starting praying that God would suspend time. When that didn't seem to be working (my watch hands were still moving :) I started hoping that we would at least be there for the start of the Consecration. At 8:40 we pulled up, jumped out of the car, ran to the front door of the church and noticed that Father was just beginning Mass. You see, it was "change the missal day" and they had just finished up. Thank you God!

A few days later (day 5 of our marathon), we were again running late. This time we were late leaving for a ballet recital that was to begin at 2:00. It was 1:10 and I wasn't sure how long it was going to take us to get there (not my fault - the ordination was 2 hours and 10 minutes long!). Despite my DH trying to give me the quickest directions possible to this place on the far side of the earth, we didn't arrive until 2:30. As we flew into some empty seats, we quickly realized that all of the people that we had come to see were just about to go on stage for the first time. It seems that the recital got started late, the teacher talked for about 10 minutes and the first part of the recital didn't involve our friends at all. Thank you God!

Yesterday, day 6, we had our cast and crew party scheduled at a local park. In addition to the picnic, the girls were going to be performing some skits and dances on the outdoor stage. There was an 80% chance of rain all day, and it had already rained in the morning. Low and behold, it didn't rain again until we got home, and it was late enough that everyone else would have gotten home, too, without getting wet. Thank you God!

So how is it, with all these wonderful examples of how God looks out for us in even these small and insignificant ways, that I can doubt that He is looking out for us in the big ways. With some major issues facing us in the near future, how come I still panic when we get another piece of news that doesn't sound good? These things shouldn't phase me. I know I should trust that whatever happens, Jesus is completely guiding this ship. Even if there is silence, I have to trust that He knows what is going on and that He has things under control. Isn't that what He has been trying to show me this past week???



*Note - Two of my daughters will be receiving the sacrament of Confirmation this evening. Please pray for them and for all who will be attending! Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. So blessed Laura! It's obvious God is very pleased with all your efforts. How wonderful for your daughters...come Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete