Tuesday, February 15, 2011

And He departed to the other side...

Before leaving for Mass yesterday, my heart was feeling rather heavy and I said to my husband, "I would love to just jump on a plane (the "by myself" was implied) and go to Arizona (to visit my parents who are there right now), but I know that is just trying to escape."

Then we went to Mass and heard the following Gospel reading:

Mark 8: 11 – 13
11 The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven, to test him. 12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and said, “Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation.” 13 And he left them, and getting into the boat again he departed to the other side.

Ha!  Jesus got in a boat and went away from all that was causing Him to sigh heavily.  Was he escaping His problems or just trying to put a little bit of distance between Himself and the things that were lying heavy upon His heart? Maybe there is something to be said for hopping on a plane for a little time away?

So I reread the Gospel and made it my own (of course, no disrespect intended :)

"The children and others came and began to argue with me, seeking many things from me, to test me.  And I sighed deeply in my spirit for I was weary from the lack of sunshine and long winter and said, "Why do you ask so many things of me? Truly I cannot give you what you seek right now for I am weary." And I left them, and getting on a plane, departed for Arizona."

Addendum to the above..."But first I had to find the necessary funds to afford the  plane ticket!"