Thursday, February 3, 2011

Going Retro

I finally did it...it took me awhile to get the courage to do it, but I finally took the plunge and got rid of all my cordless phones and went back to the corded ones!  We've gone retro and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it.

I remember when I got my first cordless phone.  Boy did I feel liberated.  With a toddler crawling around the house at the time I was thrilled that I could talk on the phone and chase her around.

After that, well you know how it is; you could go anywhere and do anything and still carry on a phone conversation.  Cordless phones improved my multi-tasking abilities by leaps and bounds.  I could carry on a conversation, cook dinner and run throughout the house to referee a fighting match without skipping a beat.

But then it started...all of the emails and articles that warned about how bad cell phones and cordless phones are for your brain cells - especially the brain cells of your children because their skulls are so much thinner than ours.  After a few years of reading about it and experiencing pain in my ears whenever I would talk for more than 5 minutes on my cell phone, my husband and I decided to get rid of the cordless phones and go back to those lovely corded ones.  I think one reason why it was easier now to make that decision is because I no longer have toddlers to chase after.

So that I wouldn't go into too much shock, I bought the really long cords that plug into the wall and the extra-long, curly phone cords so that from one phone I can reach my desk and computer in one direction and all the way to the kitchen sink in the opposite direction.  I can feel good about not frying our brain cells, too.  The only thing we're worried about is someone hurting themselves when they come running through a room and trip over that really long cord :)

As for those nasty cell phones, I have a love-hate relationship with them.  They sure come in handy when you're away from home, don't they?   Fortunately, I've never been a big cell phone user, basically because they make my ears hurt and also because we get horrible reception on them in our house.  My husband, on the other hand, has had a cell phone attached to his ear because of work since they first came out.  I often imagine this big tumor growing in his head just above his right ear.

So we'll try these phones out for awhile and see how it goes.  On the upside, when the electricity goes out, we'll still have the use of our phones!  And, as my daughter just pointed out, we can use the cords to practice our limbo abilities!  Try that with a cordless phone :)

1 comment:

  1. Headaches from phones are bad, so I'd just quit using them entirely. Besides, have you thought about the tripping hazard of corded phones? I say we go to communicators like they have in Star Trek, cordless and tumor less (unless they forgot to tell us something.) :)

    ReplyDelete