Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Trinitarian Way of Life

This past Saturday the first reading at Mass was from Jude 17:20-25.  When I was reading it I was struck by what a great reading it was in preparation for today's solemnity of the Holy Trinity.  Most especially these verses,

"Build yourselves up in your most holy faith, pray in the Holy Spirit.  Keep yourselves in the love of God and wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life."
What a wonderful guide for living your life in the Holy Trinity.  Praying in the Holy Spirit has always been something I have been drawn to.  I vividly remember all of the times I've so strongly felt the presence of the Holy Spirit within me.  It is something that, at times, I long for.  Praying to be aware of the inspirations of the Holy Spirit is also something that should be a part of our lives.  The more in tune we are to the Holy Spirit's movements within us, the more able we are to do the Will of God.

This next part is the one I had the hardest time with.  How do I keep myself in the love of God?  I pray often, but do I address my prayers to God the Father on a regular basis, or do I pray to God the Father through God the Son?  How strong is my relationship with the first person of the Blessed Trinity?  This is an area that I must make an effort to work on so that I can keep myself in the love of God.

"Wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ".  The Divine Mercy Chaplet, a great way to call on the mercy of the Lord.  Even just praying "Jesus, I trust in You" throughout the day is a great way to remember the love and mercy that our Lord has for each one of us.

Is the Holy Trinity dwelling within me?  Do I make an effort every day to maintain my relationship with each of the three persons of the Trinity?  If not, how can I expand my prayer life so that tomorrow I can included Them all more?  What a great series of questions to ask myself every evening before I drift off to sleep with the hope that tomorrow I will have the Blessed Trinity dwelling within me even more fully than today.