Friday, September 20, 2013

7 Quick Takes September 20 2013


We have had a lot of families come by recently and pick the apples and pears from our trees and it still looks like there is a ton of fruit left.  On Thursday, while out helping one of the families, Ms 10 yo picked this apple:


It is quite the perfect apple, which is amazing given that most years the apples off of this particular tree don't even come close to looking this red, smooth and bug free.  I told her we should save it somehow because it is so perfect.  She told me I could take a picture of it and save the picture up so she can eat it.
 

It is always a bit disconcerting when you walk out into your garage and see something moving out of the corner of your eye.  I did what anyone would have done in that situation, I screamed and jumped back into the house so I could safely assess the situation.  What I found was this little guy:


 which of course, Mr 13 yo promptly wanted to pick up (just ignore the purple flowery gloves).  He was a feisty guy, the snake that is, and after marveling at him for awhile, he released him at the back of the yard.
 

At first one of his sisters accused Mr 13 yo of tying up the snake's tail, but he promptly set the record straight that the snake did that himself (or herself, I suppose - not quite sure how you tell the difference).  Either way, it was pretty cool.


There's a men's silent retreat of the Spiritual Exercises coming up in October for anyone who wants to go to Marytown in Libertyville, IL.  If you're interested, email for the registration info.  St. Ignatius nailed this.  If you so choose to accept the challenge, your life will never be the same :)
 

Pardon me for the interruption, but I had to go find a huge black spider in my daughters' bathroom.  Ms 14 yo went in there before going to sleep and saw something running across the floor (seems to be the theme for today) that was big and black and wouldn't go to bed unless we found it.  Too bad it wasn't earlier when we could have fed it to the snake.  We found it and it was huge and black and try as I might, I couldn't kill it, as it is very difficult to kill something that huge while squealing and jumping around.  I actually had to wake up my hubby to kill it for us so that we could be assured of some sleep.  Thank you, God, for a husband who isn't afraid of things like that, and doesn't get mad when you wake him to save the day (or night in this case).
 

Now that we're about a month into the school year, if you are feeling overwhelmed and are looking for help to get yourself and your family more organized, check out "A Plan for Joy in the Home" as it may just be what the doctor ordered.  
 

Hopefully we'll have some time this weekend to pick some apples for ourselves and turn them into applesauce, apple crisp, apple slices...Hope you all have a safe, blessed and relaxing weekend.  
God Bless!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!