Thursday, April 16, 2015

A Dose of Perspective

Last night I went to the wake of a 33 year old man who found out last Saturday that he had Acute Leukemia and died the following Saturday.  I've been friends with his mother for the past 15 years or so but never knew him.  What I came to find out was what an incredible young man he was.  We stood in line for over two hours last night and that was shortened only because it was getting late and they were "rushing" people through.  Most people I talked to stood in line for 3 1/2 to 4 hours to pay their respects.  This young man definitely left a mark on the people he encountered.  What a testimony to him and to his family.  They are burying him today, so if you could please say a prayer for his soul and for his family who will all miss him deeply.  

In another town, not all that far away, a woman and her nine children will be burying her husband and their father.  He died on Divine Mercy Sunday, as his parish was celebrating Mass, after a battle with cancer.  He had a devotion to the Divine Mercy Chaplet, setting his watch alarm for 3:00 and stopping every day that he could to pray the chaplet.  What a testimony to his faith.  While I can't make it to that wake, I am sure that the lines will be just as long at this wake, too.  Please pray for his soul and for his family.

Two things like this, happening on the same weekend, really put your mind in a spin.  How would I feel as the mother burying her son?  How would I feel as the wife burying her husband?  For a short time, at least, it really puts things in perspective.  No longer does being inconvenienced seem like such a big deal.  Unfortunately I know from experience that time will pass and I'll lose that perspective.  For now, I'm just trying to look at each day and be thankful that we are all still here - healthy and happy.

As our pastor said last Sunday, hold on to your spouse and your children, your mother and your father, while you have them here because you just never know when the Lord will want them back.  I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but there is just so much suffering right now that I'm just trying to keep the right perspective in my life and be thankful for each and every day.  

Jesus I trust in you...even when nothing makes sense.

God Bless!