Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Twelfth Station

Jesus Dies on the Cross

On the uppermost part of the cross the reason for the sentence is written:  Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews (Jn 19:19).  And all who pass by insult him and jeer at him.  If he is the king of Israel, let him come down here and now from the cross (Mt 27:42).

One of the thieves comes to his defense:  This man has done no evil (Lk 23:41).  Then turning to Jesus, he makes a humble request, full of faith:  Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom (Lk 23:42).  Truly, I say to thee:  This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise (Lk 23:43).

At the foot of the cross stands his mother, Mary, with other holy women.  Jesus looks at her; then he looks at the disciple whom he loves, and he says to his mother:  Woman, behold thy son.  The he says to the disciple:  Behold thy mother (Jn 19:26-27).

 

The sun's light is extinguished, and the earth is left in darkness.  It is close to three o'clock when Jesus cries out:  Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani?  That is:  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?  (Mt 27:46).

Then knowing that all things are about to be accomplished, that the scriptures may be fulfilled, he says:  I am thirsty (Jn 19:28).

The soldiers soak a sponge in vinegar and, placing it on a reed of hyssop, put it to his mouth.  Jesus sips the vinegar and exclaims:  It is accomplished!

The veil of the temple is rent, and the earth trembles, when the Lord cries out in a loud voice:  Father into thy hands I commend my spirit.  And he expires.


Love sacrifice; it is a fountain of interior life.  Love the cross, which is an altar of sacrifice.  Love pain, until you drink, as Christ did, the very dregs of the chalice.