Monday, February 10, 2014

How To Survive February

I will admit, right off the bat, that I am not doing a very good job at surviving February right now.  The snow, the cold, the burn out and cabin fever have gotten to all of us.  Don't get me wrong, the snow is beautiful; it sure beats looking at dead, brown grass for four months.  However, every week when the newest snow storm comes along, we have to deal with how we're going to get our really long driveway cleared out and then I have to stress about all the young drivers driving around in it.

Yes, stressing about it is mandatory because the older I get, the more knowledge I have of what can go wrong out there in this horrid weather.  We seem to have had a lot of bad accidents in our neck of the woods this winter; probably because we haven't had this much snow in decades and we've all forgotten how to drive in it!

Anyhow, back to my point, I think.  Each year I encounter February with a new resolve to get through it better than the last year.  I think I made it an extra day this time around, so that is progress.  I mean, falling apart on February 2nd is much better than on February 1st, isn't it?

St. Ignatius said that one should never change things when one is in a state of darkness.  February = darkness so I am trying to remember his sage advice.  He is a Saint after-all.  I'm trying not to throw out all my clothes or cut my hair in some drastic way.  I'm trying to stick to my exercise routine and not eat too much chocolate in the hopes that someday I might see some visible progress on this aging body.

I also remembered that last year on retreat, Father said that when one is in a state such as I am in, that you should do more of what you don't want to do - as opposed to running away from it, I guess.  On that note, I'm trying to pray more, read more spiritual matter, and yes, spend more time with those who are driving me crazy challenging me.

I'm also buying things like these


to brighten my surroundings.

So that is how I'm trying to cope with the most challenging month of the year.  I know that God is good, however, because He made it the shortest month.  Only 18 more days to go!

How are you doing this February???

God Bless!