Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Split Brain Syndrome


Do you suffer from "Split Brain Syndrome"?  Is it actually a syndrome or is just something that goes on in my aging, over-full, busy brain?

What?  You don't know what it is?

Let me give you an example:

Tuesday morning is the morning we have writing class at our house beginning at 9:45.  It means we have a lot to accomplish before people start arriving, so (and here's where the split brain problem comes in) part of my brain is planning about how to get breakfast, clean up the house, arrange the seating and get our CCM stuff done before 9:45.

Simultaneously, the other side of my brain is working on this:  Monday night before bed, Ms 18 yo asks if we are going to Mass with them in the morning.  "Yes," I respond.  "After Mass I can go get gas in the car and then stop at the store for the snacks the boys need for their Blue Knights meeting tomorrow night".  Perfect plan, I won't need to make an extra trip out.

Tuesday morning I wake up and realize that Split Brain Syndrome has hit yet again.  "We can't go to Mass with you, we have all this stuff to do to get ready for class," I say to Ms 18 yo.  Her response?  "Well, that's what I thought, so I was surprised when you said you'd be going with us!"

Why, I ask time and time again, doesn't anybody ever call me on this??  Their response is always the same "Well, I was wondering why you said you could do that", so why don't they just fill me in ahead of time that my brain is planning two different things at the exact same time?  I can't tell you how many times this happens to me.  Should I be worried?? or is this a common thing with women who have a lot of kids and whose calendar has no more white space on it??

God Bless!