Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My Love/Hate Relationship with Exercise Part I

The other day I was pondering my life-long love/hate relationship with exercise.  Growing up I can't say that I was particularly in-active, mainly because I grew up before the internet and video games and we played outside no matter what.  We swam all summer long because everyone had a pool.  We rode bikes up and down the block.  We went to the park at the end of the street.  In the winter, we played outside the best we could.

I wasn't, however, particularly athletic.  Never played organized sports and didn't really do anything that caused me to sweat much until I joined the pom-pom squad in high school.  I had the skinny "genes" so weight was never an issue, until I started having kids that is.

Once I entered college and I had to walk from my dorm to my classes multiple times in a day, I realized how out of shape I was.  That's when the man who was to eventually become my husband entered the picture.  We met in college and he was a 6' 4" mass of muscles because he had spent his high school years lifting weights and not pom-poms (thankfully!). 

Truth be told, I would go to the weight room with him because I liked him and wanted to, you know, impress him with my enthusiasm if nothing else.  Must have worked, because we got married after college and continued to go to the gym to work out, even though I never really embraced it.

On our honeymoon - man did we look like little kids!
Time moved on, as time will do, and we started to think about having a family.  Little did I know what was in store for me...or for my weak abs.  Wishing I would have focused more on them then so that I had less problems during...(insert dramatic music) The Childbearing Years!

God Bless!