Thursday, May 8, 2014

"Something Other Than God" Devoured


I present you with the above image.  A comfy couch, complete with comfy pillow.  A cup of coffee (or at least what is left of it) and, if you look carefully in the background, an OPEN window because it is finally warm enough to open them!  Most importantly, though, you will notice my copy of "Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler.  

You might think that this picture is showing you where I curled up to enjoy the warm air on my big, comfy couch, with my good cuppa joe to leisurely read this new book.  Well, if you thought that, you are wrong.

My copy arrived last Friday afternoon and I basically, as the post title says, devoured it.  I was done with all 245 glorious pages by Saturday at dinner time.  In my defense, not much was neglected during this time, either.  People were fed and talked to, although there may or may not have been a book in between us.  Basically, wherever I was, there the book was, too.  

I laughed.  I cried.  I laughed till I cried.  This book was a work of love and it showed.  While I cannot relate totally to Jen's journey as I was born and raised Catholic, there were many of her emotions that hit home.  I really appreciated the struggle she had with wanting that house in Tarrytown.  My heart ached because I struggle with attachments like that, too.  Whenever the house issue comes up, that is me...all-in, obsessing about the house, wanting it now, assuming that it really is God's Will (even though it usually isn't and what He does will is usually WAY better).

There were so many good parts!  If you like to approach things from a logical and intellectual angle, you will appreciate Jen's approach to finding the faith.  If you have a sense of humor, you will appreciate her take on some very funny moments.  If you love stories about people and their journey through life...you will love this book.

I say, go get yourself a copy and read it.  You might want to curl up and read it leisurely or you might end up doing like I did and cooking your dinner with one hand and holding the book with the other.

God Bless!