Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Love/Hate Relationship with Exercise Part III

So where was I?  With the long weekend and all the outside stuff that we needed to get done, we've been out more than in, thus the longer break than I had anticipated.

It was about the time when my thyroid medicine was trying to get itself regulated that my husband stumbled across a nutritional supplement (Reliv) that friends of ours had been taking for awhile, so he decided we should give it a go.  We were both feeling rather low and had a hard time staying awake every evening after 8:00.  We started taking the Reliv and noticed that we started feeling much better and more alive; by that I mean that we could actually stay up past 10:00 and feel good about it!

I truly believe that if you don't feel right, as much as you might want to you aren't going to be able to keep up a consistent exercise program for very long.  We needed more energy in order to even function, so there was no way we were going to be able to exercise without it.  Once we started feeling better, my husband rediscovered his inner, fit, self - or at least the desire for it!

We started out with DVD exercise routines going from Supreme 90 to P90X. I think these covered about a year of exercise for us and then my hubby went back to what he really enjoyed doing - free weights.  He studied about it and accumulated some bars and weights and really started to see results in his body and his stamina.  I can be stubborn about new things, so it took me awhile to get on board with this new routine.  

Sometime around this past Christmas I decided I wanted in and I'm so glad I did.  Other than a few setbacks with a stubborn muscle spasm, I haven't felt this great in years.  I can walk without sciatic problems, I have energy and stamina and I actually feel strong.  After an initial weight loss of 15 pounds, I haven't been able to lose any more, but I like to think I'm just gaining it in muscle :)

I am at a point in my life where I can spend an hour in the basement exercising without anyone needing me, so that makes this very doable.  Exercising is definitely something that has its season.  It is hard to be consistent when you have babies and are sleep deprived.  It can be done, for sure, but you really have to be dedicated.  There comes a day, however, when you will be able to find the time to do it.  Finding the will power to stick with it might be another thing, but keep at it and you'll be so happy you did.

If you don't feel like you can lift a pencil let alone a weight, look into boosting your nutrition.  Feed your body good things and it will help you do more.  Find a good nutritional supplement to help you along the way.  Go to a chiropractor to help keep your body functioning like it is supposed to.  Our chiropractor says that chiropractic care and weight training are a great combination!  Whatever you do, pray for the will power to see it through.  If you fail for awhile, get back up and try again.  Get your kids involved!  Right now we have most of the kids doing weight training, even if they are just doing body-weight squats.

I hope that we can always have the health and stamina to continue to build our strength.  It is just so much easier to get through the day this way!  Tomorrow's a new day...what are you waiting for...make a plan and get going!

God Bless!