Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Table Makeover

The table is done and in place and my daughter and I are so excited!  This was our first ever project like this, and if you remember, I am not a very creative person, so I was quite nervous about how it would turn out.  

First, here is what the table looked like beforehand:


I'm not sure what attracted me to this in the first place.  Maybe my Guardian Angel saw something I couldn't!
 

Notice the lovely, gold, iron grates.


 There were quite a few water marks and spots on it, so we lightly sanded it first with an electric sander I found at a garage sale for $3.

Then we commenced the painting party.  We did one coat of primer and then two coats of paint.  Ms 15 yo loved the top and bottom flat parts because we used a roller.  The rest of the detail was all with paintbrushes which took forever.



We took the grates off and I wasn't quite sure how to paint them but my ever ingenious husband came up with this:


The only thing I would do different next time is to spray paint these grates.  They were a pain to paint and the paint didn't go on smoothly at all.

Ms 20 yo and my husband came up with the idea to add some accent colors to the detail part of the table.  



It took a small brush, a steady hand (ha!) and a lot of patience on my part, but I'm glad I did it because it really adds to the table.

And here it is in its final resting place.  It is a bit bigger than we're used to, but it really looks nice with the rest of the room.



Now all we have to do is "quiet" the nick-knacks in the room and then see what we want to put back in what spots.  Quieting a room means taking everything out and leaving it like that for a few days then going back and figuring out what you want to put back in.

So there you have it.  If I can do it, trust me, so can you.  It is amazing how nice it looks and how excited everyone in the family is about it.  If you still haven't gotten yourself a copy of "The Nesting Place", then go do it now!

God Bless!