Wednesday, October 29, 2008

40 Hours of Eucharistic Devotion

Last night we went to the closing ceremonies of the 40 Hours of Eucharistic Devotion at a local parish. As you can see from the above picture, this is a beautiful church. In case you've never been to something like this, I thought I'd bring along my camera so I could share the beauty of it with you.

Eucharistic adoration began after the Saturday evening Mass. It then continued during the day on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, with a service and Benediction each evening. As I said yesterday, the homilist was a retired Bishop from Michigan. He spoke again last night and had another good sermon on Jesus in the Eucharist. He was quite lively about it, too!

After the reading, the Gospel and the homily, there was Holy Communion and then a Eucharistic procession around the church. Any children that were present, as well as about 10 other priests, got to join in the procession.

I find that there are very few things in this world that compare to the beauty of Benediction. There is something quite incredible about the priest holding Jesus up in the monstrance and blessing the people. Sorry, but I just couldn't bring myself to fumble with my camera during that moment.

So, for your pleasure, here are some pictures of last night's event. Here is Father getting ready to incense the monstrance.

This was right before the procession began.


I loved the way this picture turned out!
This was the end of the procession. Aren't his vestments beautiful?


I sat there last night in all of this beauty thinking of those horrid YouTube videos showing the desecration of the Eucharist and my heart was breaking. Jesus Christ, have mercy on us, for we are nothing but sinners!

God Bless!