Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Ant and the Grasshopper

My how time flies when you are having fun. I just realized as I was signing in that my post from yesterday was my 200th post. Can't believe I've had that much to say :)

Anyhow, with the election fast approaching, I find that it keeps getting more and more difficult for me to keep my blood pressure at a normal level. I think that if people are going to vote for a candidate, it would be very nice if they knew exactly what their candidate stood for. And that statement applies to people on both sides, myself included.

So, with that in mind, I offer you the story of The Ant and the Grasshopper. I always have to ask myself what my post has to do with homeschooling or building up the domestic church (if I don't ask myself, my husband will), so I could easily see this fitting into our election unit study.
OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the
summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

The email I got this in had a modern version of the story which I have decided not to post here. Suffice it to say it does not paint a good picture of the grasshopper or the government. Instead, I thought it would be more fun to use this old version of the story as a discussion starter. Think about how a story like this might be interpreted in today's media. How would the media portray the grasshopper and what would the average American on the street think about the ant and the grasshopper. Come to think of it, this might even make a fun writing assignment. It would be interesting to see the different view points that might come up. Try it out and see what happens.

And remember, urge people you know to VOTE PROLIFE!

God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. And here I thought you were heading over to the dark side and was going to use the modern version. Although it does have many elements of truth in it (as does most good comedy), it can be taken as being a little mean, and some people would even say racist. I don't see that as it is dealing with lazy people of every stripe, not of a particular pigment.

    I noticed that you have a Mystic Monk ad, cool. Have you ever read the Anchoress? She's Catholic and very interesting to read and a huge fan of Mystic Monk coffee.

    Okay, I've blabbed on enough, have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that the first draft of my post did have the entire story in it. The more I sat and thought about it, however, the more I decided not to put it in (even if I did get a chuckle out of it). I also agree with your interpretation of it. I'll have to check out the Anchoress.

    ReplyDelete