Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Words of Wisdom from St. Paul

1 Tim 6:6-8:  There is great gain in godliness with contentment; for we brought nothing into the world and we cannot take anything out of the world; but if we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content."

I read those words yesterday and I stopped and thought about how far I must be from contentment and, therefore, godliness, because I do have food and clothing, and even a nice, warm, dry house and yet I find myself not being content.

At times I think more about what I don't have, or what we can't do because we don't have the money, or what I feel we need, and I fail to be content with all of the things that God has blessed us with...so much more than just food and clothing.  Really, if I believe what St. Paul is saying, all I need to feel contentment in my life is food on my table (and we're even more blessed because we have food on the table three times a day, not just once!) and clothing to keep us warm and covered.  If I can feel content with just that, then I will have great gains in godliness.

After reading that passage, I almost couldn't go on to finish the chapter as there is so much to meditate on in just those two verses.  However, I pushed ahead to see what else I was needing to hear and came up with the following points:

1.  "The love of money is the root of all evils"  which probably means that I shouldn't spend so much time worrying about it!  My focus must be more on the things I read next...

2.  "Aim at righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness and gentleness."  Now there is enough to keep one busy for quite sometime.
3.  "Be rich in good deeds."  If #2 doesn't keep me busy, I can just add in a full measure of good deeds and I shant have to worry about ever having time to worry about anything else.

St. Paul gives us the key to a good life in one chapter:  Be content with the simple things like food and clothing, aim at being virtuous and keep yourself occupied with good deeds.  While I know that he lived in a world far different than our own, these words are timeless and are good things to strive for.