Tuesday, January 28, 2014

TV Makes A Reappearance

About 15 years ago we got rid of, or at least didn't do anything to acquire, our television reception.  Other than a short stint with Sky Angel and Catholic Familyland TV, the only thing our TV has been used for is to watch movies and play Wii.  

Until now.

This is what happens when kids get older.  They start to want to watch things like Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, Sherlock and Once Upon a Time (wait that's American...I thought we only watched British TV??) Every week we'd get on the internet and download whatever episode we were currently on and totally.kill.our.bandwidth, and then get frustrated when it would stall out on us.  The one episode of Sherlock actually took us two days to watch!  I know, the horror of it all.

Then one day, my cousin came over with a small TV and a portable digital antennae so the family could watch the Bears game during a family party.  Hmm. What's that, you say?  You can get one of these inexpensive little things, hook it up to your TV and get television stations??  For free??

Fast forward a few weeks to when it occurred to me that the Olympics were coming up. I've always had fond memories of watching the Olympics, especially the winter ones.  "Hey," I pondered aloud to my husband, "if we got one of those inexpensive antennae thingies, we could watch the Olympics.  And football. And we could get PBS and watch all our shows and STOP KILLING OUR BANDWIDTH!"  He graciously acquiesced to my request and we hooked it up last weekend, which means, you guessed it, we can watch the State of the Union address tonight.  I'm not sure if that is a good thing, or not :)

Like all things I get myself into, not going overboard will be the key here.  I still want it to be only for things we've been watching and then only special things that we've missed out on in the past.  Fortunately, from what I've heard, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about getting hooked on...except maybe more British shows.  Any recommendations?  Well, DON'T tell me about them!
just kidding.  not really.

God Bless!