Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Keep Love In Lent



"I’m participating in the Keeping LOVE in LENT Blog Link-Up 2013, hosted by
Raising (& Teaching) Little Saints, Truly Rich Mom and Arma Dei: Equipping Catholic Families. We'll be sharing different ways, tips, stories and real-life experiences that will help us focus on Lenten sacrifices, prayer and good deeds, and how to carry them out with LOVE instead of a GRUMBLE. Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the list of link-up entries.”

By mid-day on Ash Wednesday, I was curled up on the couch in terrible pain; not quite the start to Lent I had planned.

Planned...it's always good to have a plan for Lent, but I know from experience that when God has another plan it is always better for His plan to override mine.  So for the next three days I tried to be patient and ride out the worst of the stomach flu that hit me.  I was not able to do one of the things that I had set out to do thus far, and up to that point I was okay with it.  I mean, really, it was only the first three days of Lent and there were still 37 more to go; more than enough time to make up ground.

What hit me out of the blue, however, was the wave of despair that got me the other night.  The kind that snaps the rug right out from under you.  The kind that makes doing anything feel like it will take a Herculean effort.  One of the books on the reading list I had planned was "Drinking From the Dry Well" by Thomas H Green, so in a way I've been preparing for this, but it never is easy when it hits.  

So how does one even think of beginning 36 more days of prayer and sacrifice and penance when the ground underneath is so dry that the cracks are big enough to swallow up small children?  Well, one way is to drag oneself to that great Sacrament of Reconciliation; the font of God's mercy.  The vessel of grace that allows us a small enough drop of consolation that we can begin to feel like loving instead of grumbling.  Oh, it's still hard, sometimes almost impossible, to continue to love and not grumble, but God's mercy is endless and HIS Love is great, and so each day allows us another opportunity to begin again.

I've heard numerous times over the past week that Lent isn't about what we give up or what we do but about how it all brings us closer to God.  That's what I'm trying to focus on right now.  That, and living in the present moment, which is really all that we have.

How about you?  Has your Lent started off on the right foot or are you finding it difficult and dry?  If that's the case, how do you deal with it?  


Check out the Lent reflections participating in the Keep LOVE in LENT Blog Link-Up 2013! We'll be sharing different ways, tips, stories and real-life experiences that will help us focus on Lenten sacrifices, prayer and good deeds, and how to carry them out with LOVE instead of a GRUMBLE.


Discover new Catholic Blogs to follow!


God Bless!

16 comments:

  1. This is very similar to how I feel in general. Lent is my favorite time of the year, but I never think I'm doing it well enough. There's always more I can do, more I can give, more I can sacrifice... but honestly, it has been helping me tremendously to read all of these blogs in the link-up, and hearing of their ideas and thoughts on simplifying Lent to its most important component: Love. If anything I do, even if in my eyes it "isn't big enough," is done with love, I know I'll feel much better about how I spend this Lent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to spending some time reading what others have to say also. It is funny how that "love" message has been jumping out all over the place for me the past few weeks. Thanks for commenting, Amy!

      Delete
  2. Finding that the Lenten journey is going well. But there is always a dry patch or two. This week we are sick so it's all about rest and being at peace too! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to dragging yourself to Reconciliation. As an adult convert, my first confession was scary. I entered full of fear and left full of peace. It's a great remedy for any emotional, spiritual or bodily ailment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lent is a time when we draw ourselves closer to God. I understand about dragging yourself to confession. It always seems to get our nerves unsettled, but when we leave we are full of God's grace. My son loves going to confession..no fear. He loves chatting with Father. It would be nice if more of us felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a rough time. I wanted to give up food and go on fasting but then again, i'm pregnant, so I really couldn't fast. What I did was I adjusted my plans to fit the situation that I am in. :) I vowed to take care of myself instead to keep the baby safe. ~ Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Lent isn't so much about what we give up but about growing closer to God. And I always feel closer to God after confession. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this line: "when God has another plan it is always better for His plan to override mine."

    I also know that by experience but I think it's the human side of us that make us want to be in control. That's something I strive to do each day, not just this Lent, but everyday of my life, knowing that I'm such a planner! So, what I do is to always soak in God's Word and always ask Him for guidance and direction in all I do. And indeed, when we seek, we will find and when we ask, we will receive. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have to drag myself to Confession. I think about it for weeks before being able to go. I always feel better afterwards, and think, I won't wait so long next time. But then I do.. I hope you've recovered from the flu..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura-
    Love your blog. Love it. So thankful to the Catholic Bloggers Network hop...
    Your candor and general style are so inviting and insiprational: I esp love this:
    ~~ I've heard numerous times over the past week that Lent isn't about what we give up or what we do but about how it all brings us closer to God. That's what I'm trying to focus on right now. That, and living in the present moment, which is really all that we have.~~
    Which is really all we have...wow. I needed that thought today.
    Thank you so much.
    Laura, I am nominating you for a blog award and once I (FINALLY) get the time to write the post, I will link you to it and let u know it's up...do not know when, but in the next few day.)
    God bless.
    Looking fwd to staying in touch via the blogosphere.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and the award, Chris. Can't wait :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds strange but some of my most fruitful Lenten season have been the ones that I felt dry and it was all so difficult. That is when God can really work in us, I think.

    I hope your Lent will lead you to a very joyous Easter season, full of consolation and love.

    God Bless, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sometimes experience both: 'off on the right foot' as it relates to Lenten plans, but also 'difficult & dry' as it relates to my spiritual well-being...But, that is Lent...taking those ENTIRE 40 days and peeling away the 'stuff' I've accumulated, emptying & surrendering myself so that His will be done. But it's always a struggle. You have it right - it's the Sacraments and the grace we need through them. Another remedy is Adoration and time spent with Him - even if I feel dry, I know I can just sit and He will still Love me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I can relate to this and I love how you expressed it: "when the ground underneath is so dry that the cracks are big enough to swallow up small children?"! Reconciliation is such a blessing! I hope you are feeling better now and that the rest of your family escapes from the flu. Blessings for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lent is going well, while we are getting slammed with snow we live in farm land and the farmers need this precipitation so no complaints here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also can relate to needing to live in the present moment with God. That is how I can find the strength to do all the little "things" (prayers, acts of mercy ect..) that go into the lenten journey. If "I" plan a long list of to do's, the love gets lost and so do I. You are so right, confession is a key! And a beautiful gift to experience during lent... although as you said it can be hard to go without a grumble. =) Thank you for sharing your experience, I think many of us can relate. May you have a refreshing Lenten season that will nourish you for Easter!

    ReplyDelete