Friday, February 1, 2013

7 Quick Takes February 1 2012

--- 1 ---

It's Friday.  It's the first of February, which is really hard to believe.  Not only that, but it is a First Friday.  A lady in one of the facebook groups I'm in suggested that we all join together today, First Friday, at 3:00 (whatever time zone you're in) and pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for our husbands.  They work so hard for all of us and need all the prayer support they can get.  So, if you're reading this before 3:00, jot a note to join us all in prayer.

--- 2 ---

Speaking of husbands, our 25th wedding anniversary is later this spring and I'm in a quandary about what to do to celebrate it.  I remember back in the days of my parents' 25th, everyone had huge parties at banquet halls; like a mini-wedding.  I'm not suggesting that big of a party, but I'd like to do something.  None of the other siblings have done anything with family so far, so instead of a party, should we just go out for the day with the kids?  by ourselves?  Should we renew our vows at Mass?  On the day or on a Sunday?  Ugh, so many decisions to be made.  How have you celebrated your 25th??

--- 3 ---

My one daughter suggested going out to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. We've never been there but it looks good.  What made it even more enticing is that there is one in Birmingham, Alabama, which is about an hour away from one of our favorite places on earth...Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in Hanceville, AL.  Now wouldn't that be a great way to spend the day (and then some because we live 12 hours away from there :).

--- 4 ---

On a totally different note, I received an email this past week from the Mystic Monk monks letting me know about their Valentine's Day flavored coffee:  Chocolate Cherry.  Can I just say that this sounds heavenly.  I don't like the flavored coffees "straight" but I love to mix in some of the beans with my regular coffee.  Gives it just the right amount of flavor :)  If you'd like to try some out, don't forget that you can click on the Mystic Monk link just to your right and help support the monks, your coffee habit and this homeschooling family.  Thanks :)

--- 5 ---

Tonight is another basketball game for Mr 12 yo.  Unfortunately his team has lost every game.  The top two shooters have been out the past two weeks, so that certainly doesn't help.  Last week they got slaughtered.  The good news is that, so far, they don't seem to have given up.  As discouraging as it is to watch, they are keeping their spirits up and keep trying.  I just pray that they can win at least ONE game this season.

--- 6 ---
Lent is right around the corner.  We've begun preliminary discussions about what it is going to look like around here, but haven't really nailed anything down yet.  I keep reading about how one should meditate on the Passion so I think that will have a big part of my personal Lent.  We were discussing about reading a book out loud together but haven't hit on a title yet.  Sometimes all the planning is for naught because God decides what He wants us to do, but that doesn't always happen so I feel I need to still have a plan in place.

--- 7 ---

As a closing thought, please keep this courageous young woman in your prayers.  She is undergoing a bone marrow transplant on Monday and will need all the prayers she can get for the recovery.  Her name is Sarah and here is her post that shows what a fighter she is. 

God Bless!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!