Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Ski Show Not to Miss

One of the non-negotiables on our vacation was to go and see the Min-Aqua Bats - the water ski team which has been performing in Minocqua, WI for the past 50 or so years.  We used to go and see them every summer when I was a kid, so I wanted my kids to experience the same feeling of awe.

By this time, mind you, I could see their eyes slightly glazing as I kept waxing on about how I wanted them to experience this and then that, just like I had when I was their age.  But this time, I really meant it.  They would be in for a real treat.  Not sure they believed me at first, but they went along with it.

We saved this event for the last hurrah of the week and we were not disappointed.  Given the advances made in all things in the years since I was younger, this was an incredible show of what the human body is capable of.  I am always awed by the strength, grace and daring that God gives to us human beings.

Here's some of what we saw:

Some awesome barefoot skiing.  That night one of the guys went a full mile without water skis!  


 Here are some couples doing acrobatics on their skis.


This series of photos shows these two guys who started by jumping off the pier and then barefooting.
 


Just a nice skier, sunset type shot.
 

This was incredible.  Two of the guys jumped off a ramp, crossed over each other, as well as jumping over the two guys who stayed on the water.  Talk about strength and daring!
 

All the guys thought this was cool.  All us girls felt our stomachs lurch :)
 

Got to see a few pretty good wipe-outs, too.  Fortunately, everyone on this night was okay.  When I was younger, I remember seeing one of the girls slam into the pier.  Not cool.
 

It isn't a great ski show without a few pyramids. 
 

I love water skiing, so to see the skill of these young people is truly inspiring.  If I can ever get myself strong enough again, I want to get back up on that water ski!  Maybe next summer :)  If you're ever up in the Minocqua area, I highly recommend this show!

 God Bless!