Monday, July 15, 2013

Catholic Woman's Almanac

Joining in over at Sucipio!

Moments of Gratitude:

There have been so many things to be grateful for these past two weeks.  We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation with beautiful weather.  I went on my yearly silent retreat last week and it was amazing as usual.  There will be more specific posts about these in the coming weeks.  

I am also grateful that at this moment  there is a man outside fixing our 6 month old air conditioner that shouldn't have broken, but did.  He will hopefully get it running before this week of 90 degree temps and high humidity really get going!   UPDATE:  He did NOT get it going and doesn't know when he will be able to.  Ugh.  I know it is a small trial compared to some, but it is one I am not too good at dealing with.

I am also grateful that the next two weeks don't have any huge commitments; maybe I'll get caught up :)  And finally, on this day, I am grateful for the wonderful gift of my mother, whose birthday it is today.  Happy Birthday, MOM!!  (Okay, so she doesn't read my blog, but who cares, right?)

In the Kitchen:

Getting back into the swing of routine meals again.  I think this week is a chicken recipe in the crock pot for tonight, Turkey Tetrazzini, broiled and marinated pork chops and peaches and Shepherd's pie.  As much as I've enjoyed the good food of the past two weeks, I'm looking forward to getting back to our usual eating routine and not so much junk (okay, fine, not so many desserts, and pop, and really good sugary snacks and chocolate...)

The Week Ahead:

Lunch with my mom for her birthday at this adorable little tea shop my daughter found.  It is so cute and has some wonderful food.  Other than that, I plan on tackling that To-Do list with a vengeance.  Oh, and I'll probably get back to exercising again.  I think.

Reading:

I am bound and determined to keep up with reading now.  Spiritual reading, especially, is so important.  The goal is 15 minutes a day, but I know once I just sit down and get started I'll get more time in than that.  Right now I'm finishing up "When the Well Runs Dry" by Thomas H Green.  I have been trying to finish it up for awhile, but I picked it up again on retreat and God's timing, of course, was perfect.

Praying:

For my son who is at camp this week that they will have a safe, holy and fun time.  For the many graces I need each day to keep to my resolutions :)  For this crazy world we live in, that peace will reign some day soon.

Captured:

I have so many pictures to share but haven't had the chance to weed through them yet, so I'll just share our family photo that we took from atop the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan.  Behind us you can see Lake in the Clouds.  This was an amazing place to be.  I love to admire God in the beauty of His creation! By far, one of the high points (pun intended) of our vacation.


God Bless!

5 comments:

  1. Great post.
    That picture is beautiful.
    Happy Birthday to your momma!

    Blessings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. No AC? Ahhhh! Well, that will count as penance no doubt.

    I am looking forward to your notes on your silent retreat...just a little jealous...vacation AND a silent retreat : )

    Love the pic...too funny with the Batman shirts.

    Okay...hoping you will be cool fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No AC? I would simply lay down and kick my feet on the ground, screaming and hollering until SOMEONE fixed it. We can not function without AC down here.

    Happy Birthday, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photo -- love the t-shirts and the smiles. And the lake, too.

    Looking forward to your posts about your retreat... Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have you read No Christmas for Olivia - your children would love it too!

    Today through Monday, October 11 - 14, the first book of my second eBook series is free! I know you will love reading about how Olivia learns the true meaning of Christmas.

    If you are thinking of a book for a gift this year - No Christmas for Olivia would be a good one! Download it, read it, share it, but most of all, Enjoy it!

    In the story, Olivia is hurt and angry that her family is going to visit Aunt Fran in Phoenix over Christmas vacation. It means there will be no trip to the tree farm to cut a Christmas tree. Her beloved decorating traditions will go out the window. And absolutely no snow on Christmas Eve! Olivia decides to skip Christmas this year. Her parents can make her go to Arizona but they can't make her enjoy the holidays! Follow Olivia out to Phoenix as she learns the true meaning of Christmas.


    Author:
    Mary Ellen Shea Clifford

    Link to the Holiday Series:
    http://amzn.to/GDOO6L

    I thought you might like to know my next series is about two large families living next to each other - one with six children the other with seven. Some of them are homeschooled, some of them go to St. Mary Cathedral. The series won't be out until next summer but I am having so much fun writing about these families.


    ReplyDelete