Monday, April 7, 2008

A Momentous Occasion

Today marks a milestone in this household: Our baby boy turns 3 years old today.
That, in and of itself, is not a milestone; we've had 6 others do it before him. What makes it momentous is that there is no other new baby here to help him celebrate. This is the first time in the almost 20 year history of our family that we have had a child turn 3 without a younger sibling around. One of my relatives asked me yesterday how I felt about that. Well, I have to say that I am okay with it, however I did stop and reflect for a while about the whole trusting-your-family-size-to-God thing. I have to say that I would be much more enthusiastic about adopting another child than I would be about birthing another baby. This little boy took a toll on his mommy! He was 11 lbs. 10 oz when he was born and his pregnancy overall was the most detrimental one to my body. The thought of going through something like that again makes me shiver. When I look at him, though, I thank God for the miracle that He created and the wonderful boy that He has given to our family.
My husband and I both have a lot of "7"s in our lives. We both were born on the 7th, we were engaged on the 7th and married on the 7th. Before we were married, one of my in-laws was joking around that maybe we would even have 7 kids. I emphatically pounded my fist on the table and said, "I will never have 7 kids". Today, I am eternally grateful that God knows a lot better than I do what I need, and that He gave me the grace to open my heart to follow His plan and not my own. No matter how afraid I might be, I have to trust that if He wills us to have more children, whether naturally or through adoption, it will be the best thing for all of us!

2 comments:

  1. Happy, Happy Birthday Anthony!! My, how quickly time has gone by! Welcome back to the fabulous year of 3!
    God Bless,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday, Anthony! The photos are so cute. And wow... three already! :)

    ReplyDelete