Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Our Beloved Priests Part II

As I mentioned in this post, we have been blessed with a very vibrant and holy priest in our parish. This past weekend we went to a different parish for a First Holy Communion celebration and left the church feeling very sad. There were moments during the mass that I began to wonder if I was truly in a Catholic church. While I can't say that there were any definite liturgical abuses, it was all just a bit too much of the modern American church for our liking.

While thinking about all that went on, I remembered an email that a friend sent to me. The email stated that the Congregation for the Clergy has declared May 30th, the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, to be the World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests. The email continues, "it has often been said that we get the priests we deserve, so it is in our own self-interest to deserve better." I know that this post is a month ahead of time, and I will try my best to remind everyone of this day of prayer as the 30th of May draws closer, but I thought I would include this now because there was also a link to a prayer that can be said by the layity for priests. If you scroll down the page you will see the section that has this prayer. Why not get a jump on the World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests by praying this prayer for the next 30 days? As we all know, our priests can definitely use all of the prayers they can get.

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura! I think we do all know that our priests can definitely use all the prayers they can get. Msgr. Deutsch has embraced this and has offered his coveted true relic of the cross as a source of reflection and prayer for vocations. The relic comes to your home for one week. I am so excited to be next in line! We will even have this relic on the day of Katie's 1st Holy Communion! We are all excited. What an amazing gift that we are being offered - the chance to truly devote time for prayer for all vocations, most especially our priests! I understand that the current list puts the relic back into Msgrs. hands somewhere in the year 2012!! Praise God!!! ~Jenni

    ReplyDelete