Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dressing for the Day

I have never been the kind of person to spend all day in my pjs, even as a kid.  Maybe after the birth of a child or a surgery I might have spent prolonged time in them, but on the whole I've always been a get up and get dressed kind of gal.

I've been coming across various things discussing what people wear all day long.  Of course the old homeschooling joke is that the beauty of homeschooling is that the kids (and mom, too) can do school in their pajamas.  From what I've been reading, many people spend the day in their pjs or something very similar.  I got to thinking about how what I wear influences how I feel.

I have been wearing skirts every day for the past 12 years or so and that is when I really realized how clothing effected me.  When I wear a skirt, I feel more lady-like.  When I wear jeans I feel more adventurous.  When I wear sweats or comfy clothes like that, I definitely feel, shall we say, a lack of motivation.  I can't imagine that I'd feel very get-up-and-go if I wore my jammies all day.

I guess I am a definite believer in being dressed for the day.  I get up, shower and get dressed.  If that doesn't happen within the first hour of me being up, well the morning just doesn't seem to go as well.  It is definitely less productive.   I usually end up doing this on Saturdays and then by noon, when I've really done less than half of what I wanted to, I kick myself for not just getting up and getting going.

My husband, too, appreciates the fact that he doesn't come home to me in a ratty t-shirt and sweats or pjs.  I can tell by his actions and words that he likes to see me "put-together" at the end of his long day at work.

The fact that I am the mom also means that my kids don't stay in their pajamas all day (and also the fact that they wouldn't be caught dead in them at Mass :).  They are allowed to stay in their pjs all day the day after Christmas, but the funny thing is, many of them get dressed anyway.

So what do you think?  Does how you are dressed for the day have any impact on how productive, or unproductive you are?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. Laura...I am the same way. Even if I call pajama day...I still get dressed LOL! I wear a lot of skirts in the summer and it makes me feel so much more feminine. (and to Church) And jeans do add a playfulness, don't they?

    I have come to the conclusion that I could never stay in my pj's all day unless I was really sick : )It does affect my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly the same, i cant stand those weekends when for some reason it takes me longer to dress, i am definetly less motivated to get going and feel like going back to bed, or at least it makes it easier, so, better to stay away from the tentation, LOL. I cant bear to see the other family members still on pijamas far after breakfast. And in relation to the type of clothes, skirts, dresses, jeans, it also makes a difference, more or less the same way as you, Laura, and i can also add that (at least for me) putting on a bit of make up, mascara, lipstick, makes me feel better (but i am too lazy to do it normally), and its important to look good for others too, specially God for Mass and DH deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, dressing for the part is just as important as having the right tools for the job. From my experience as a home-bound mom, this has been more difficult to do even if I have proven myself that there is a high correlation between getting dressed for the day, as you put it well, and productivity :-) But the challenge is there, for how else will I teach my children?

    Thanks so much for this timely post.

    ReplyDelete