Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The "Art" of Cooking

I may have mentioned in the past that each of my first five children has one night that they are assigned to cook dinner.  We work together to pick a meal and then they are in charge of getting it done.  Since this is Mr 12 yo's first year, I am involved in helping him learn the ropes.
 
Last week, however, I was not home on his assigned evening so I put Ms 18 yo into the supervisory role.  The task at hand that night was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  I came home to this very artistic meatloaf:

In case you can't "see" it, the meat is in the shape of an alligator head.  He cut onions to make the teeth and green peppers for the eyes and nostrils.  Can I just say how thrilled I am that one of my children is excited enough about cooking to actually put some thought into the presentation!

He is also very specific about how the table is set - again, presentation!  He is very symmetrical (like me!) and has to have everything lined up just so.    


How wonderful it is when one of your children steps out of the mold and does something different!  I mean that in a good way.  As a mother I think I sometimes fall into a complacent mode when my kids all tend to do the same things.  When one of them steps outside of that, it really makes me stand up and take notice.

Well, here's to the "art" of cooking.  I look forward to the many new things this boy will show me!

God Bless!