Wednesday, April 10, 2013

List Maker, List Maker, Make me a PRETTY List!

So yesterday I talked about lists and how they are so very helpful to me; how they free up my brain for more important thoughts; how they make life so much easier; how they are so much more fun if they LOOK pretty.

Okay, so I know that a pretty list doesn't get things done any faster than a plain, old, boring list written on the back of an old envelope.  However, I sometimes get caught up on having a list that looks ascetically pleasing to me in order for it to be functional.

I've tried printing out my lists on pretty stationary (really a waste of that stationary, let me tell you), making fun templates on my computer and filling them in that way, making neat and utilitarian lists and putting them on a brightly colored clip board to brighten up the room.  I know, I'm pathetic.  It is very difficult for me to take that old envelop and jot stuff down and use it as my working document.

Recently, a very non-technical friend of mine got herself an ipad.  I've really had no interest in getting one until she showed me her little app that looks like a yellow legal pad.  She showed me how she can make list after list and they don't get lost, and they don't get coffee spilled on them, and they don't clutter up her desk, and they don't stack up on her screen like those sticky notes do.  Suddenly, I needed an ipad.  I mean, I was willing to go out and spend money that I didn't have on one just so I could have a yellow legal pad on a screen.

"Calm down," I told myself.  "Don't act rashly."  I took a few deep breaths and after a few days regained my composure.  "Surely," I thought, there must be something I can find to use on my new laptop.  I did some searching and came up with Evernote.  It isn't pretty like my friend's ipad app, but hey, it's free and I didn't have to buy an expensive device to use it.  I do like that I can make up a whole bunch of lists and they all stay neat and tidy, so to that end it has been beneficial.  If you know of a program that can make pretty lists on my laptop, I'd be very interested in hearing about that!

Until then, I'll just go about my business using Evernote and printing them out when necessary.  If you're not already, I hope you become a list maker, too, and if you have a nice looking template that you think I might like, don't hesitate to feed my addiction and send over a link!

God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    I'm a list maker as well so I really enjoyed this! In fact, I carry "fancy" notebooks and have to do lists in my laptop bag with my comp as well as on my desk and I carry one in my purse too:)
    I'm an office supply junkie...love planners too!
    Thanks for the fun post
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Chris, a kindred spirit :) I love office supply stores, too. In fact, my 9 year old daughter would rather go there over any other kind of shopping!

      Delete