Friday, August 9, 2013

7 Quick Takes August 9 2013


I'm sitting here later Thursday night trying to decide if I have enough in my brain to do this.  Mr 8 yo is sleeping on the couch next to me after having battled all day with an eye infection.  Do you know how hard it is to convince an 8 year old boy who touches EVERYTHING not to touch stuff?  Yes, downright impossible.
 

A lot is about to change around here and I'm not sure I'm ready for it.  In a few weeks school will start up for everyone and dh has some schedule changes that will keep him busier as well.  Right now Ms 21 yo is out of town visiting her boyfriend.  I realize how nice it is to have everyone at home, especially to eat together.  When one, or a few, of them is missing, well...it just isn't the same, now, is it?  I guess I'll just learn to enjoy those times when we are all together even more.
 

Mr 12 yo turns into Mr 13 yo this weekend and he starts soccer for the first time (well, better late than never - about the soccer, that is).  Both should be adventures!  Have I mentioned before that I just love watching how he is changing as he gets older?  Not just physically (he hasn't grown a ton yet, but I know that's just around the corner) but how he is maturing into a nice young man.  After 4 girls in a row, it is a nice change to see a boy reach his teenage years.

One of the nicest things about him getting older just dawned on me the other day - I'm not the one who has to have any "talks" with him!!  What a relief!  It was kind of like when he was potty trained and we'd be out somewhere and he'd have to go to the bathroom and it would hit me that I didn't HAVE to get up to take him...finally my husband could have the honors.  It's the same feeling :)

About that soccer thing.  We went today to look for cleats.  Since he's entering into the growth spurt phase, we decided to try Play it Again Sports to find some used cleats.  He tried on about 8 or 9 pairs, some size 8 1/2 other size 9.  The 8 1/2s were too small and the 9s were huge.  Not sure what we're going to do about that, but we can't see paying over $50 on shoes he is soon to outgrow - maybe even before the end of the season.  Help!


School's right around the corner...I can feel it...the anticipation is building!  I'm waiting for my last piece of curriculum to come in so I can get things organized and then get rolling.  We're trying out Classically Catholic Memory - Gamma this year.  I can't wait to get it and see what it all entails.  Anyone else using CCM for the first time?  What about the second time?  I'd love to hear what you think of it.
 

My Life of Fred inventory is starting to clear out so check it out for your last minute math purchases!  Also, it isn't too late to get organized for the coming school year!   Have a great weekend, everyone!
God Bless! 
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!