Friday, August 30, 2013

7 Quick Takes - The School and Grape Edition

As I've mentioned, we're doing Classically Catholic Memory (which I always call Catholically Classic Memory, by the way) and the history sentence that we are to memorize has been put to the tune of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing".  Can I tell you how annoying it is to have that song constantly going through your head four months ahead of time?  What makes it even more annoying, yet effective, is that I'm not singing about lovely Christmas angels but about Christopher Columbus, Vasco da Gama and Magellan.
 

Here are 6 of the 12 pounds of red grapes we got off of the grape vines this year.  Last year we missed them completely, still not sure how, but the birds got to them first so I was determined to get them first this year.  I'd say it worked.  They're a bit tart and have seeds but they make awesome grape jelly.


Speaking of which...I made 12 - 1/2 pts of jelly yesterday and they look good.  I still have enough grapes to make about the same amount.  Now I just need to find the time.
 
Here's Mr 14 yo, my helper.  He helped me mash, stir, ladle and, of course, taste test.  Help always comes from the most unexpected places.  I think this boy has a future in the kitchen.

 


I took this picture and it looked interesting so I thought I'd post it.  Notice the steam rising from all of that good grape pulp.  Each sack made about the necessary 5 cups of juice.  From one batch I had some extra juice so I sweetened it up a bit and cooled it so we could have it with our breakfast.  Yummmmm.
 
First week of school done and I'd call it a success.  All assignments completed and done well with no meltdowns.  I promised them they could rent the Batman Lego movie if they had a good week so hopefully that wasn't the incentive for such a productive week.  We'll see what happens next week when there is no movie!

Well here's wishing everyone a happy Labor Day in advance.  We're still not sure what we'll be doing with this long weekend, but it will be nice to have everyone home for three days.  Whatever you do, have a safe and happy weekend.  

God Bless!
  
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!