Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Peace in My Kitchen

When life gets hectic, I really need to have my surroundings be as peaceful looking as possible.  For example, if I've spent the day (or several days) running around and I come home to a disaster of a house it just sends my mind askew.  Of course I know it is that way because we've not been home to keep up with it, but still, it makes it hard for me to think.

That is why I'm always looking for ways to make it easier to keep things as neat as possible.  The kitchen is one place I hate to go into and see a big mess (or even a little one).  We don't have a dishwasher, which I truly think is a blessing, so that means dishes are to get done after every meal.  This helps keep things under control so that when you have to go in there to cook, everything you need is already clean and tidy.

There was one part of the kitchen, however, that had been grating on my nerves for a long time.




It seems as if the glasses multiply when people aren't looking.  There would be at least eight glasses on the counter at any given time and, miraculously, they didn't belong to anyone.  

Over the years we've tried various ways of keeping track of whose glass was whose, but none of them really worked for very long.  Until one day I thought about how nice it would be to have a tray where everyone would have a designated spot for their glass and it would be their responsibility to make sure their glass stayed in their spot.

A few weeks ago I was at Good Will and I found this lovely blue tray for a whopping .50.  I knew the time was now.  I got my tray home and placed everyone's glasses on it and threatened them with their lives if I saw a glass on the main part of the counter.


 And guess what?  It worked.  We've only had one infraction thus far.  Beyond that, everyone has remembered to place their glass in their spot and now I can walk into my kitchen and see this:


This clean counter top brings me peace.  I know it sounds silly, but every little niche in the house that can bring peace is a good thing.  Pretty soon those places start to add up and they outweigh the areas with messes.  

See, little things can make all the difference in the world, and this little thing only cost me .50!  Can't beat that for a little bit of peace of mind, can you?  Now, on to tackle other areas, like LEGO STORAGE!

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. We, at one point, had a wooden tray and I laminated cardstock with a circle with everyone's name on it to put their glasses there...didn't last long but I hope yours does!!

    Rubbermaid is my best friend with Legos. Lord of the Rings is piled high in the sunroom but at least she can see through each case which one she needs. Oh...they are piled high in closet too! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete